I’m joined for this week’s Reader Chat by Ayana, who you may know from The Vintage Guidebook blog and social media.
We of course talked about vintage fashion and costuming, but since this IS a book podcast, we had to bring reading into it, too! From Jane Austen, to fashion history books and sewing guides, to the Dear America series we read as kids. Ayana also gives her perspective on staying grounded and loving yourself in our current times.
Read Ayana’s article on Black women in period dramas for History, But Make it Fashion.
Find Ayana at Ths Vintage Guidebook on:
Books We Discussed
- Sense & Sensibility, Pride & Prejudice, and Emma by Jane Austen
- Dress in the Age of Jane Austen by Hilary Davidson
- The Dictator’s Handbook by Bruce Bueno de Mesquita and Alastair Smith
- Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor
- The Dear America series
- The American Girls series
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
- Fashion: A History from the 18th to the 20th Century by Akiko Fukai (The Kyoto Costume Institute)
- The Lost Art of Dress by by Linda Przybyszewski
How love and courtship were different in the Regency era
My previous post from the beginning of quarantine on how the pandemic is affecting our reading
Listen to new episodes of the Rhonda With A Book Podcast every Tuesday and get even more bonus content through my Patreon. Thanks for listening, and as always, Happy Reading!